Bedford Logistics offers less than truckload, or LTL, freight shipping services to save our customers money. Our mutually beneficial relationships with many LTL freight carrier companies as well as access to Midwest’s trucking assets, warehouses and distribution facilities, allow us to provide efficient, cost-effective LTL shipping services.
As a leading LTL freight company with access to thousands of less than truckload carriers nationwide, Bedford Logistics has the ability and know-how to customize the optimal solution for each customer.
Less Than Truckload Shipping
An LTL freight shipment does not fill an entire trailer, and it typically weighs between 150 and 15,000 pounds (although some carriers allow 20,000 pounds). To fill the trailer, less than truckload companies accept freight from two or more shippers, with each shipper paying for the portion of the trailer used by its freight.
LTL operates on a hub-and-spoke model, which means that the truck travels between large terminals or distribution centers (the hub) and local terminals (the spokes). Due to the need to collect freight from local terminals and consolidate it at the hubs, LTL shipping involves frequent loading and unloading. This amount of handling may increase the risk of damage (which can be mitigated by palletizing) and it definitely means longer transport times. However, the benefits of the cost savings outweigh the disadvantages for many customers.
Benefits of LTL Freight Shipping
- Costs are reduced because you pay only for the portion of the trailer your freight occupies.
- Offers the ability to ship even very small amounts across the country, without having to wait until you have enough for a full shipment.
- Most LTL shipments are palletized or crated, making each shipment more secure.
- LTL transport offers additional services such as liftgates, expedited shipping, and inside pickup and delivery.
- Consolidating shipments onto a single vehicle reduces emissions, reduces your carbon footprint and helps protect the environment.
Questions about this service? Please contact Bedford Logistics for assistance.